Which is the most pragmatic approach to introduce automated unit testing to project managers ? In this article I describe you what are the questions made by a PM I worked with about automated unit testing.
- he kept on asking me every now and then information about the test automation;
- he’s very curious kind of person and he was always listening to what the developer community is buzzing about.
- as a PM he needs to manage strictly set budgets and he was not really aware (and probably he is still not) of the costs and advantages of automated unit testing;
- he wrote a line of code for the last time quite a long time ago, and almost its whole experience was with procedural languages, so he was not totally accustomed with polymorphism in object oriented languages, a feature that definitely helps in writing unit test;
- he was almost obsessed by how apply unit testing to database and data driven application, since these are the application he is accustomed to;
What can be deduced ?
Things a PM should already know about unit testing
- IT people seems to know that unit testing exists and they know developers generally say they help build better applications.
Things a PM would like to know about unit testing
Here’s the list of main questions I collected from the PM. I think they are quite representative of the doubts a PM has about unit testing, and so they represent a good starting point to organize an educational and introductory session to them.
Q: how much does it cost do develop a project using unit test ?
Q: how much is the foreseen gain in quality ?
Q: can unit test be applied to the application of data driven development ?
Q: how it is really possible to isolate a piece of code, a class, and run it in a dedicated test environment, to test it ? What really are the benefit of it ?
- Developing a class with test.
- How to set a test of a class that has dependencies on other classes.
- How tests of a couple of integrated classed.
- How unit test classes with dependecies on other external app.
- Show a real case in which a test suite pop up a regression bug.
I hope this would be a good guide about how to introduce your PM to unit testing.